Environmental Conservation San Diego
The USA is no stranger to the ever increasing effects of climate change felt around the world. Working with a committed local partner, this US volunteer program aims to support organizations working to adapt and respond to these changes in the environmentally rich city of San Diego.
Please see the 'Additional Info.' section for procedures in place during the pandemic.
It is hard to deny the negative impacts that past practices have had on the environment, in particular rising sea levels and extreme climate events, that threaten coastal US cities like San Diego. Projects committed to environmental sustainability need passionate volunteers more than ever. Working alongside like-minded people and learning the skills needed to continue sustainability in daily life makes this an extremely rewarding and worthwhile placement.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide support to established sustainability projects
- Encourage green spaces and growth in urban areas
- Promote greater awareness of environmental needs throughout our cities
- Enable positive exchange between volunteers and communities that cross cultural, religious and socio-economic barriers
How You Can Help
Environmental volunteer projects in the USA not only have an immense impact on the community, but also provide great educational and learning opportunities for the volunteers themselves. Providing a much-needed labor force, volunteers will work directly on both established environmental and sustainability projects and in developing new initiatives. We need volunteers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty!
This program partners with various environmental organizations and volunteers will be paired with projects that demonstrate the most need and best suit their skill-set and preference. This ensures that the work undertaken is meaningful and beneficial to both our volunteers and the local communities served.
Volunteer work varies depending on the projects being undertaken at the time of placement and may include:
- Maintaining urban gardens and farms
- Conservation and disaster prevention projects
- Replanting initiatives
- Assisting to beautify and maintain parks and walking trails
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over who wish to give their time and energy to assist with environmental sustainability. This hands-on project is best suited to those who are either pursuing a career in conservation or environmental studies or who simply wish to explore an interest in this field. However, the project is open to all and does not require participants to have specific education, qualifications or experience, as you will be shown everything you need to know by your local project leader. Importantly though, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Emergency contact
- Vaccination Certificate
San Diego is beachside bliss!
It's hard to argue with San Diego's self-claimed title of "America's Finest City' when the weather is so perfect and the people so welcoming. Whether you spend time relaxing on a Pacific Ocean beach (of which there are many!), hike in the stunning regional parks framing the city, experience the inner-city attractions and parks or explore the delights of Downtown you cannot fail to be charmed.
What an incredible place in which to spend time on a worthwhile volunteer program!
Start Dates & Duration
This project is available year-round and programs start every SUNDAY. Volunteers can choose to participate for periods ranging from 1 week to 4 weeks. Longer stays can be arranged directly with the local team, but will be subject to availability and individual visa conditions.
For current available start dates please check the calendar on the right.
Arrival & Orientation
Volunteers are met on arrival into San Diego by our local representative and taken to the hostel to settle in. A welcome dinner for new and current volunteers is a great opportunity to get to know each other!
Monday is Orientation Day, designed to help volunteers feel supported and comfortable in their new environment. The orientation will cover negotiating the public transport system and will include a visit to the project site and brief introduction by the community partner.
- Arrival Day: SUNDAY 8AM - 8PM
- Departure Day: SATURDAY
- Arrival Airport: San Diego International Airport (code: SAN)
Accommodation & Meals
Volunteers in San Diego are hosted at a popular hostel in Downtown, just a skip from Gaslamp District with its popular bars and restaurants and a short bus ride from those fabulous San Diego beaches!
Rooms are dormitory style, sleeping up to 4, with shared bathrooms and the hostel offers all amenities required for a comfortable stay including free WiFi, storage lockers, laundry and kitchen facilities and communal areas for relaxing and meeting other guests. Linen and towels are provided so volunteers need take only personal items.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be prepared in the communal kitchen - or we recommend you gather up your new-found friends and hit the vibrant bar and restaurant scene.
Prefer a private room? No problem, it's an additional $55 per night.
Want arrange your own accommodation? Totally fine. The fees are adjusted accordingly: to $589 for 1 week. $783 for 2 weeks, $958 for 3 weeks and $1,146 for 4 weeks.
*In addition to the program fees listed above a Registration Fee is payable to secure your place. The registration fee is USD 299 for those volunteering with Love Volunteers for the first time or USD 149 for any subsequent volunteer placements. The registration fee includes: lifetime LV Alumni Membership, fundraising support & advice, dedicated pre-departure support, certificate of completion (on request), and exclusive access to the LV Trip Planner.
Some things are not included in the program fees listed above, such as flights, visas, vaccinations, travel insurance, additional foods and snacks, spending money, local transport, in-country trips and excursions, return airport transfer (unless mentioned above).
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice. Please ensure you have read the Love Volunteers Terms and Conditions & Refund Policy.
COVID-19 Safety Measures in the USA:
We will be engaging in the following steps to ensure both volunteer and partner safety.
- Ensure soap and hand gel are available at all placements (get to partners, housing, maybe supply)
- If necessary, provide additional masks and gloves at the placements if a volunteer is unable to bring their own
- Ensure partners are taking the necessary steps as listed below to ensure partner and volunteer safety
- Ensure the coordinator will wear a mask and engage in other preventative measures such as social distancing when interacting with the volunteers
- Provide up-to-date and accurate information to our volunteers regarding safe volunteering practices
Housing Partners Will:
- Post informational signage throughout the property informing guests of best practices and how to reduce the spread of the virus
- Develop intensified cleaning practices for all areas of the accommodation
- Including but not limited to: regularly wiping down all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles, faucet handles and shower handles, increased bathroom sanitization
- Implement social distancing practices
- Such as but not limited to reducing the number of guests assigned to each dorm style/shared room.
- Require staff and guests to wear protective gear in common areas
- Follow CDC recommendations if clients or staff show COVID-19 symptoms
Community Partners Will:
- Provide any cleaning supplies/protective gear necessary to complete tasks assigned to the volunteers
- Depending upon their project site will engage in whatever routine sanitation practices are applicable
- Require all coordinators/employees to engage in social distancing practices, wear masks, and routinely wash hands
Orientation Activity Partners Will:
- Encourage and enforce social distancing
- Limit their capacity especially if the activity is located within a building
- Ensure their staff wears protective gear
Volunteers Will Be Asked To:
- Obtain a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival and present proof of testing before/upon arrival.
- Bring their own masks and wear them consistently when interacting with others
- Consistently wash their hands or use hand sanitizer
- Notify us if they display any of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Not share items with other volunteers unless properly sanitized
- Follow all safe and outlined volunteer practices
- Follow necessary public transportation safety practices as outlined by the city’s transit authority